Monday 8 April 2019

Looking for Opportunities

My emotional roller coaster ride that started last fall has returned. Sort of.

I had another biopsy of my thyroid on Wednesday. The results were pretty well the same (looks a bit too cancer-y for comfort), so it's going to be coming out. I see the surgeon next week, so I would imagine the surgery will be sometime in May or June. I'm very much at the point of just wanting to get this done and over with so that I can plan my summer, so bring it on.

The surgery will mean I'm out of work for a couple of weeks, and likely out of the saddle for at least the same. I'll have a sore neck for that time, and apparently a sore throat from the breathing tube. And possibly a scar.

I'm by no means vain, so the thought of a scar doesn't bother me that much. I guess they try to make the incision in a neck fold - I have lots to choose from. And my surgeon does a lot of these, so I'm not overly worried. I mean, I am worried - I've never had surgery before, so there are a lot of unknowns for me. But I'll deal.

The other thing that comes along with the scar on my neck is the need to keep it out of the sun for a year so that it doesn't become discoloured as it heals. For an equestrian who spends a fair amount of time outside in the summer, and whose preferred piece of clothing in heat is a tank top, this causes a dilemma.

Or is it an opportunity? An opportunity to shop?

Sure, I could put sunscreen on it. But chances of remembering to do that on a regular basis as I sweat it off through the day is slim to none.

So, shirts with a high neck it is.

What kind of shirts have high necks?  Show shirts. And there are some super cute show shirts on the market these days.


Drawback - they can be pretty pricey. And I would like to get 4 or 5 of them.

I've also been looking at golf shirts. There are many options for mock neck, sleeveless shirts. However, they can get almost as pricey as show shirts. Being in Canada, there aren't too many stores to shop at.

I'll find a few inexpensive cotton mock neck tanks to wear for non-horse things, but I hate riding in cotton shirts these days. I have a couple of Bette & Court sunshirts already, but I don't always want to wear sleeves.

I definitely don't want to go crazy and buy a whole new wardrobe - pretty sure about 5 shirts will do. I just need to make sure that they go with my current collection of breeches so that I don't need to look for an opportunity to buy more!

5 comments:

  1. That stinks re: the surgery, but I bet it will be a relief to shelve the worries. I have a Horze Blair short sleeved show shirt that I'd recommend. Cheap , fits well, and the collar can fold down with a cute contrasting pattern to look like a polo too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I just want to get this done and over with so that I can make plans for the summer. I think I was looking at that Blair shirt, I'll keep it in mind!

      Delete
  2. Too bad about the surgery but probably good to get it out.
    Buy 2-3 shirts and you can just keep washing them. Is there a consignment spot nearby? I second the Horze shirts they are nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a consignment store in town but it tends to have lots of older stuff. It will probably have tons of blouse type show shirts and no newer sport type, though I will try to get over for a look!

      Delete
  3. Horze has a sun/show shirt that would be perfect I think! And that aren't too pricey.

    You could try one of those sun visor things too, for your helmet - they shade quite a bit of your neck as well.

    I wouldn't be TOO concerned about discoloring. Sunscreen will do the trick mostly. My husband had a second degree burn on the whole top of his hand and that happened in June, and he wasn't always great about putting sun screen on (specially on our honeymoon) and there's no discoloring. You can't even see a scar really either !

    ReplyDelete