Friday 21 July 2017

Unsettled

So, the move hasn't been smooth so far.

As of Wednesday, the kids have not been accepted by their pasture-mates. They keep getting chased away by that gray Arab. So they are super attached and dependant on each other. Which means that one of them, Cisco, is super uptight whenever Phantom is not with him. If I bring her in, he runs the fenceline. When he comes in, he is hyper-reactive and keeps calling for her. Sigh.
The herd at the front. My guys at the opposite end, circled in red.

So his training has not made any progress this week. I did a bit of target training with the clicker in the barn and he did seem to calm down a bit and focus a little bit, but that could also be because there were other horses in the barn at that time.

I was hoping that I would be able to put hoof boots on Phantom to be able to get some rides in on her until I can get her shoes put back on. It's been at least a year since I used her boots - and apparently her feet have shrunk. Her boots are too big. She's wearing flip flops. We did a short ride on Tuesday, and she was not happy to try to trot. 'Cause it's hard to run in flip flops, y'all.

The barn manager and owner are away for a few more days, so I am still hoping the kids can get along with the others. I'll give it another week or so before having to decide that changes need to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment