Tuesday 11 July 2017

The First Month Under Saddle

By which I mean a whole 6 rides in one month.


I have put my big girl panties on and been been the only one to hop on. And he's been dead quiet. And yes, I do realize that I have jinxed myself and that something will probably happen on my next ride.

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way of consistency, but it allowed me to spend a bit more time on the ground, long-lining to work on steering. It was definitely better the last two days, although changing up his bit also helped.

We have been off-leash a whole two times, so our steering is, well, the equivalent of steering a barge in a storm. It's been a long time since I last rode a baby. We are doing the drunk walk down the long side, and nowhere near the track. But today we had a few definite halt/walk transitions off my aids, so that is progress over the previous day.

I am off work this week, and it looks like life is trying to prevent this horse from ever getting broke once again. Of course I had plans to hop on him every day this week.  But I woke up this morning with a dodgy stomach, had a headache most of the day that I attributed to a tight ponytail, and after getting home around dinnertime from coffee with a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of years, I ended up in bed with the duvet over me and shivered for the next three hours. Yay. Food poisoning or the flu?

So hopefully my week isn't derailed. I was planning on doing our first trot on the lunge tomorrow. So we will see what the morning brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment