Saturday 21 December 2019

This Means War

For the first time in many years, this winter I've had a mouse problem in my tack box.

I think that they're getting in at the bottom where the doors don't line up properly as the ground it sits on is uneven. They only need a space the size of a dime to be able to sneak in.

On two of my last five visits, a mouse has greeted me when I opened the door. So that makes it obvious. Not to mention the raisins they've left behind and the distinct aroma of eau de mouse.

Whenever I've been out for the last month I've been in a bit of a rush so I haven't taken out anything other than grooming kits. Last night I had a few extra minutes so I ventured over to the saddle side of the box.

And discovered that a mouse had chewed into the lining of my Equestrian Stockholm saddle pad.

That's a declaration of war.

They couldn't have chosen the $10 pad that was with it. Nope, had to go for the good stuff.

I think that Miss Mouse was trying to set up her nest in there as there was what seemed to be a Kleenex all chewed up into bedding in the saddle pad. Hopefully I disrupted it at the right time.

I went home and immediately ordered bait stations. Nothing is fair in love and war.

(I'm pretty sure the saddle pad will survive to be usable - the hole is fairly small and on the underside. I just have to decide how I want to patch it.)

6 comments:

  1. Ugh- such jerks! I've got a few making themselves known in my barn again. I wish it wasn't so cold here - it would be easier for softy me to keep a couple of barn cats out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got two barn cats that are very good at sleeping. I don't know that they are great at mousing.

      Delete
  2. It's the time of year again. We store our toilet paper in our dug basement. One year I found that every freaking roll had been chewed on with pieces removed. I can visualize the mouse's face over this heaven of nesting material. But honestly, why not just use one roll?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - my cat had the same theory as your mice. It always made for a fun game of matching up toilet paper squares to make it usable!

      Delete
  3. ugh yea i've had some mice invasions lately too, bleh.... good luck getting rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two bait stations in the car ready to set up on my next visit. Hopefully that will do the trick!

      Delete