Saturday 7 September 2024

I'm On!

I did it! I got on my baby horse!

On Saturday I finagled one of the barn rats to hold Stitch for me while I again put weight in the saddle, and hopefully swung a leg over. Just like last time, he was far more concerned about the speed at which the cookies were being doled out than what was happening on his back.

The first time that my butt sat in the saddle he kind of went "huh... that's new... where's my cookie?". So we just walked a couple of steps to clear the mounting block and I slid off. 


The next time we walked about 10 steps before I got off, and the third time we did about 1/3 of a circle with a couple of walk/halt transitions.

I was led the whole time and did my best to just stay balanced and relaxed in the saddle. I have no impression as to how he feels other than narrow and wobbly - the baby horse is going to take a bit to get used to!

We did some ground driving the day before and he did a pretty good job of steering - just not very good about straight lines. I guess he can't always be perfect.

Now we're really ready for work to start next week!



7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I remember when Quaid felt so narrow and wobbly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so insecure when you are used to wide and solid!

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! Congrats to you, and good job Stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the major milestone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure the rest of the journey will be just as easy - right?

      Delete
  4. Very exciting! Looking good up there too!

    ReplyDelete