Wednesday 5 October 2022

How to End the Week

 It's been a crappy couple of weeks. Nothing really bad, just a lot of little things not going my way.

Last Friday I decided to hop on Phantom for the first time in a few weeks. We are still riding outside - the replacement arena has finally started to be constructed, but probably won't be ready until early November. Thankfully, Mother Nature has taken pity on us and has gifted our area with a lovely Indian summer, so riding outside has been totally doable. Especially with the addition of a couple of lights to the outdoor arena. They aren't bright enough that I'd feel comfortable jumping, and they produce some spooky shadows, but they're more than bright enough to not run into walls or other horses.

The night before my family had enjoyed A night out at the dinner theatre watching a play based on The Beatles. Since I figured that Phantom might be feeling a bit creaky and that we'd be doing a bunch of walking, I put on my headphones so that I could continue listening to the catalog of The Beatles - one of my all-time favorite bands.

We started our ride as the sun was setting and got to enjoy a lovely red sky viewed from between Phantom's ears.



She was indeed feeling a little creaky, so we mostly walked with a few short trots thrown in. She was super chill, and I sang softly to the songs in my ears the whole time.

Towards the end of my ride, a George Harrison Beatles song played, and I decided I would end my ride to My Sweet Lord. 

As we were walking around in the shadowy ring, I heard a few popping noises in the distance. I figured someone was shooting something - it's not an uncommon sound. Being deaf, Phantom didn't flinch at all.

And then I turned the corner, and saw fireworks in the sky over the nearest town.

So I was sitting on my horse, in the dark, listening to My Sweet Lord, watching fireworks. Not a bad way to end the night! 

Unfortunately, I missed the first part of the show, so I didn't get to watch for too long. But it was enough for my soul on that night when I was feeling a bit sorry for myself.

1 comment:

  1. That does sound like a great way to end a not-so-great week

    ReplyDelete