Wednesday 4 October 2017

Review - Strip Hair

I am sure every horse person has seen the Facebook ads for the Strip Hair. You know, the one where they are grooming a horse in the spring who likely has Cushings and hasn't been groomed in months. In case you haven't seen it - here it is!



I had been wanting something different than the standard shedding blade for a while, and was torn between the Strip Hair and the style that has a hacksaw blade on a wooden handle. Although that style was generally cheaper, what I liked about the Strip Hair was the option to use it for bathing, and that you got two sizes (small and large). So that was the main decision maker.

I found a store in my province that was selling them at an introductory price with $10 off, but by the time shipping was factored in I paid close to the full price of $68. Not cheap. But was it worth it?

The kit comes with the two Strip Hair pieces, a cleaning cloth, and a bottle of some cleaning spray. All packaged up nicely in a burlap bag. I got it towards the end of the spring shedding season this year, so was able to judge it's effectiveness accurately. One flat side is a smoother rubber, the other side has a little bit of texture to it. The large one is great for bodies, the small one is great for legs and faces.

So, was it worth $68? I have a hard time justifying a couple chunks of rubber are worth $68. Do I love it? Hell, yes.

I love that it easily removes loose hair. I don't love that you have to use a fair amount of pressure and it's a bit awkward to hold and it irritates the tendonitis in my wrist. I love that it works great to remove dried mud from legs and faces with the textured flat side. I love that it can be used in the summer to get rid of that sunburnt coat that starts to come out. I love that I can use it wet or dry to scrub at Phantom's cannon keratosis. I have no feelings at all towards the cleaning cloth or spray as I have never used either of them and actually forgot they were in my tack box. I love that I can use it to scrape hair off of my saddle pads and it does a great job.

Once again- is it worth $68? It has many uses, and does each one well. In the spring, through shedding and mud season, I used it daily. Through the summer I use it once a week on their body, and as needed on other parts. The small one is my go-to when cleaning legs before putting boots on. My main complaint? That I only have one set and it's never in the grooming kit of the horse I have in front of me.

So yes, it was worth it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment