Monday 2 September 2024

What We Did Last Week

How last week went:

Monday - I took Stitch into the round pen to try ground driving off the bit for the first time. We just walked, and he was very good and softly turned when asked - once I picked up a whip and got his ass in gear. This horse definitely has more whoa than go.

One problem with the lack of throatlatch on the PS of Sweden bridle - no where to twist your reins out of the way when lunging (or ground driving ).

Tuesday - Stitch wore his rainsheet overnight as the forecast was for a bunch of wind and rain. This is the same rainsheet that I made adjustments to to fit him back in May. He's grown enough over the last couple of months that I had to let the chest straps out by a couple of holes and it fits perfectly at the butt end. He still doesn't have enough cleavage that I can let out the darts I put in the neckline though.

Wednesday - we went for another walk down the road. This time, he was able to ignore the neighbours guard boulders, and only briefly glanced at the screaming stud pony.

Captured in the evening sun.

Thursday - Stitch went for a car ride.

He was a little bit sweaty so there were some nerves.

It was his first time being done up in my straight-load trailer. Getting him locked in was no problem, getting him out took a few minutes as he kept sitting on the butt bar and I couldn't get it dropped. I ended up putting the lead rope around the front of the head divider to give me a way to pull him forward while I was at his butt, and that helped. He wasn't being panicky about it, he just didn't understand that he didn't need to step back when I was back there. We'll work on it this fall. (Still way better than Cisco ever was.)

Saturday - I swear that anytime I skip a day this horse grows. Took his blanket off and it looks like his withers have popped up and his front is almost level with his back. I measured him at 15.1hh at the withers. He can stop getting taller anytime - he better not hit 16hh! My short little legs will have problems reaching that high to get on!





No comments:

Post a Comment