Friday 20 September 2024

No Ego

When people have asked me if I was going to start Stitch myself, I said that was the plan. I'm in no rush, I don't have a demanding client that wants the horse to be doing all the things within 30 days, so I can take my time and do things slowly. 

I've been saying that I have no ego in this - I will be asking for help. Hopefully, it was just of the lead me and hold my horse the first few times type of help, but if I felt it was warranted I would employ the services of a pro to put the first few rides on. It doesn't appear that they will be needed. 

Thankfully, Stitch has not yet developed an ego, because he's been getting so many compliments from people at the barn that it would go to anyone's head.

He keeps hearing things like:

He's so handsome.


He's so shiny.


He's such a nice shade of bay.

He's got such a good brain.


He's looking so good.


He's so tall. (This came from a quarter horse person, lol)

He's so cute.


He's so friendly.


Now that he's under saddle, he's such a superstar.


I really need to just let him get scruffy over the winter so that I don't have a 4 year old who thinks he's the shit next year. I don't want him to get a big head and have to buy a new bridle to contain it.



2 comments:

  1. No ego is so important with young horses. Like I feel like that's rule 101. I fully went into Dee (unbroke 4yo at the time) knowing I'd need help, and if it got too much I'd be ready to hand her off to a pro. I definitely got lucky being able to do most of it myself, but it for sure is not a solo endeavor. What a good boy - he is looking so good. I'm so excited to keep following your journey together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have an ego to start with, a young horse will quickly take it down a notch.

      Delete