Tuesday 14 November 2017

No Change

There were no obvious changes in Phantom's leg overnight. It's still fat with lots of crusty crud. It didn't seem to be as sore today, since she didn't try to kick me in the face when I touched it. That could be because of the bute from last night.

I am not going to clean it as that seems to piss it off. It seems to look worse the day after I clean it.

I picked up some more Polysporin with the triple antibiotic (and pain relief!), some athlete's foot ointment from Costco (which was a zoo since a lot of people have Monday off due to Remembrance Day falling on the weekend). I already had Desitin at the barn. I wish I had remembered that yesterday and I would have put that on last night.

They all got mixed up and applied to her pastern. Pony Grandma helped by dispensing treats when I clicked the clicker as I was applying. Phantom was quite good about me slathering on the goop, which honestly surprised me a bit. She's usually kind of a cow when it comes to being doctored. Using the clicker does seem to help, as she's a bit of a treat whore and will usually do whatever it takes to get a treat.

Still fat. Post-goop application so you can't see the crud.
I am a bit concerned about the possibility of cellulitis. I took her temperature - 37.1, so no worries there. I gave her a couple of grams of bute again before I left.

I also started her on Liver Flush from Alpha Omega, just in case she did ingest something she shouldn't have. I had a look at the hay since I made it out during daylight hours, and did find some clover in there, but had to look pretty hard to find a dried flower. Apparently it's difficult to tell what type of clover it is once it's in hay and dried, without getting it tested. But alsike clover is still toxic in a dried state. I guess the bales that they are feeding are from a new batch - same supplier, different field. And the results of toxicity are usually seen about a month after ingestion. So I am going to try not to overreact to the fact that there is clover in the hay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment