Friday 2 July 2021

Just Trying to Stay Chill

 I don't know how people in warm climates get anything done in the summer.

I've been camping out at my parent's house after work all this week to get relief from this heat dome that has settled over much of the western part of North America. They put in central air conditioning a couple of years ago and my mom likes to keep the house ridiculously cold. I'm currently sitting on their couch, wearing a hoody and a blanket over my legs because it's about 13 degrees Celsius downstairs. No complaints because it's 36 outside, and despite my portable air conditioner being on since 7:30 this morning, my house is still 27 degrees downstairs and over 30 upstairs.

Even barn cats are finding this weather too hot to do anything but lay around. 

I mean, when one walks into the house and gets offered a Fudgsicle, then gets served crab-stuffed salmon for dinner, who would be stupid enough to complain?

I've been heading out to the barn late in the evenings, getting there at about 9 pm. The sun doesn't set until well after 10 pm at this time of year, but when I arrive it's low enough in the sky that it's not burny and the temperature out in the country is actually quite pleasant. 

There hasn't been a cloud in the sky all week.

The ponies have been happy enough to see me and just get fed. I've had to work every morning after I've been out to the barn so I haven't been spending too much time out there. Gotta get home and try to get my house to cool off a wee bit before trying to fall asleep!

The pony popsicles were very much enjoyed.




The heat is supposed to break on Sunday, which is the first day of my vacation. Fingers crossed the weatherman gets it right for once!





2 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine it getting dark after 10pm. Does the day seem to go on forever? Sun is setting about 8:45 here in Oklahoma, USA. I love the pony Popsicle idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our long summer nights are definitely something I take for granted. Yes, it feels like there is so much time in the day when it isn't dark until almost 11pm. Being woken up at 5 am because it's already bright out and you have to close the curtains so you can go back to sleep without the sun shining directly in you face kind of sucks though! (Current sunrise time is 5:10am and sunset is 10:05 pm)
      I was in Florida in July a few years ago and it felt really odd that it was dark at 8:30 as we walked back to the hotel after supper. I definitely prefer the long nights!

      Delete