Thursday 13 June 2019

1.15 Rides

Well, I got both ponies ridden on Wednesday. Sort of.

Cisco definitely got ridden. He hasn't been ridden in a week (I think). We're past the point where I need to lunge him in this situation, but he's going to be a bit silly for the first part of the ride. Sure enough, he walked calmly around the arena, but was calling to someone outside. When we picked up a trot, he was extra zoomy heading towards the open door and the barn.

Thankfully it was warm out and that helped him decide pretty quickly that extra energy should probably be conserved.
Poor boy broke a sweat.
Someone had over watered large chunks of the arena. There were big circles that were soaking wet and slippery. The jumps were all set up to avoid these areas, so that didn't leave very good lines to be able to steer around. Especially at a canter on an unbalanced horse.

So this meant that our canter was limited to mostly one end and up the long side on one side.

To the left Cisco has developed a lovely tranter over the last couple of rides. I'm not sure if it is a physical reason or just a lack of forward and balance reason. He's much stronger and comfortable on his right lead, and getting that lead has become reliable. The left has become the problem. (Dammit - I ride way better to the right,)

So we just worked on getting the lead (easy when his shoulder isn't bulging in, hard when he anticipates and it is) and then going forward up the long side before we got into the muck. It got better through the ride - the first couple were ugly.
Not sure if the slobber is because he worked hard or because he grabbed a mouthful of grass on our way into the arena.
Phantom was a sort of ride. I got on her, did our 10 minutes of walk. Picked up the trot, and she tried to take off with me 6 times in the first two laps of the arena.

The first time was somewhat justifiable - someone was zooming around outside the arena door mowing the grass. I knew it was coming, so was ready for it.
One of the crop arena circles of mud.
The second time it was at the opposite end of the arena - she might have seen the mower pop past the door behind her. She scooted. Then she scooted again because of the clump of dirt she kicked up with the first scoot.

Then she tried it in the next corner that is the corner she likes to bolt out of when in such a mood (which is rare, but it's always the same corner). I went back to the end by the door and circled, staying away from being able to see out the door, and she scooted twice on the circle.

It only gets worse if I try to ride through it. So I didn't.

I still had the arena to myself, so I hopped off, stripped her down, and grabbed the lunge whip. She had a few good gallops and hopefully got it out of her system.

I kind of expected it honestly - she was pretty perky on Sunday when I managed to get in a short ride that probably didn't take off any edge. We'll see if we can get that energy out of her over the next week!

1 comment:

  1. love the patent noseband on Cisco! and yea, sometimes it's just better to save it for another day with those mares haha

    ReplyDelete