Thursday 4 October 2018

Signs of Winter

Both ponies looked better on Wednesday. Cisco didn't take any noticeable bad steps, and Phantom was a little short in the same spot where the footing is a bit compacted but wasn't head bobbing like she was on Monday.

I still think that their feet were soft due to the moisture in their paddocks. We've also been having sub-freezing temperatures every night and someone said that the ground has been frozen in the mornings. I'll keep applying Keratex to their feet and hope that it stays dry for a bit.

Cisco hasn't been quite himself the last couple of days - quite quiet and lethargic, to the point that I took his temperature yesterday afternoon just to be safe (it was totally normal). I'm pretty sure that I know the reason - it's because he's got a full tummy. A round bale (with a slow feeder net) was added to his pen this week.

I had talked to the barn owner about the possibility of them having a netted bale during the winter. I don't want them to be able to gorge on it, but I don't like the idea of them not having hay all night when it's minus 40 out. I was hoping it wouldn't be going out until at least the end of October. I think it went out early for another reason - Cisco lives with a couple of mares who have been chewing the crap out of the fences. I think the barn owner is hoping to prevent further destruction from the beavers.
Some of the beaver destruction.

It looks like the cold weather is here to stay. Phantom's coat has gotten quite floofy.

And I noticed that Cisco's muzzle got fuzzy.

It's going to be a long, long winter at this rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment